Sunday, June 28, 2009

Solar Clothes Dryer

Recycling is important, but saving more by doing less is even better. The most energy efficient way to dry clothes is by using the electric clothes dryer less rather than tossing out the old one and buying a slightly newer more energy efficient model. It was a bit of deja voux standing out in the triple digit heat today while hanging a few clothes to dry. It used to be necessity. Now I'm using my solar clothes dryer, and I'm glad I can put all of that heat to good use.

Oddly enough, it was my daughter who got me started thinking about solar drying. I was still enjoying the fact that I didn't NEED to hang up the towels to dry. They came out very soft from the electric dryer. Then when I saw my daughter hanging cloth diapers on the clothesline, I thought she was just working too hard. Not only was she conserving on her use of paper products, she was using solar energy. I finally realized that she is inheriting the planet from us. If she can conserve while raising two small children, I could begin doing my part.

1 comment:

  1. It's unfortunate that people got out of the habit of using clotheslines. They save so much energy, and it is kind of peaceful to hang the clothes.

    Rainy days and winter make outdoor drying difficult, but people can air dry their clothes by using a clothes drying rack like this one. Being round it works really nice under a ceiling fan!

    ReplyDelete

Share your ideas for creating a "greener" place to work.